What is the best security system for your home? – KXAN Austin
SimpliSafe vs. Ring: Which Home Security System Is Better?
When it comes to do-it-yourself home security, SimpliSafe and Ring are two solid options. These security systems are flexible and can be customized to meet your needs, whether you want to protect a small apartment or a multi-story home. With either option, you can create the perfect system to monitor your home while enjoying a personalized experience.
Even though the two systems are similar, they have some differences in privacy, cost, monitoring, and overall customer experience.
Launched in 2006, SimpliSafe was originally conceived as a way to provide DIY security to those who rented their homes. Today, it also offers individual and comprehensive security setups for homeowners.
With SimpliSafe, you have the option of creating your own security system or choosing a pre-designed package. These packages include anywhere from three to 14 or more devices to protect your home. For example, The Haven includes 14 elements, including a base station, a keypad, four entry sensors and a panic button.
The company also offers the following four service plans for additional benefits:
- Not monitored: This gives you access to live video feeds from your cameras via an app. It also records activity for the last seven days. You can change settings, lock or unlock the Smart Lock, and control the entire system through the app. This plan does not require a monthly payment.
- Self-monitoring: With this, you have access to your recordings from five cameras for up to 30 days. You also have the option to download your recordings to other devices. It costs $9.99 per month.
- Standard monitoring: Unlike the two previous packages, this one includes 24/7 professional surveillance of your home. If something happens, they will contact the authorities, such as the police or medical dispatch, to investigate. With this plan, you can also detect hazards, such as water leaks. It also comes with a built-in cellular connection in case you lose your internet connection. It costs $17.99 per month.
- Interactive monitoring: As the biggest plan, this one includes everything the standard plan has, plus unlimited camera recordings, on-demand video recordings, and a monthly camera subscription. It is also compatible with Alexa or Google Assistant. It costs $27.99 per month.
SimpliSafe systems range from around $229 to $489.
The benefits of SimpliSafe
- Versatile security devices, such as indoor and outdoor cameras, smart locks, motion detectors, glass break detectors, panic buttons and video doorbells
- Customizable Home Security System for Renters and Landlords
- Plans come with a one-month free trial period so you can test what works
- No subscription or contract required
- Easy installation and configuration of devices
- Easy to add or remove sensors in an existing system
- Three-year warranty on all devices
The disadvantages of SimpliSafe
- Connecting SimpliSafe to an Amazon Echo or other smart home device requires the Interactive Monitoring Plan
- Alexa integration is more patchy than with Ring home systems
- Limited camera options
- Some alerts and notifications are linked to a paid subscription
Best SimpliSafe Devices
SimpliSafe nine-piece wireless home security system with HD camera
This security system contains nine devices, including basic security, motion sensors and a camera. Motion sensors can detect movement up to 30 feet away and have a 90 degree field of view. This system also comes with a 24-hour backup battery in case of a power outage. It is easy to configure and install.
Sold by Amazon
SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor
Designed to detect the sound of broken glass around windows or doors, this sensor pairs easily with an existing SimpliSafe setup. It has a range of 20 feet and is battery operated.
Sold by Amazon
This security doorbell comes with a 1080p HD camera that provides a 162 degree field of view. It is easy to install and works well day or night. It also has two-way audio and can detect the heat signature of people nearby.
Sold by Amazon
Founded in 2012 by Jamie Simioff, Ring is now a subsidiary of Amazon. As a DIY home security system, it offers many devices, such as wall-mounted security cameras, video doorbells, indoor cameras, floodlight cameras, and customizable home security kits.
You can either create your system using Ring’s online quiz or use an existing one. For example, a configuration includes a base station, a keypad, several contact sensors, a range extender, and a motion detector.
Ring offers a 30-day trial of Ring Protect once you’ve installed a Ring camera, doorbell or kit and started using the app. It also offers a few protection plans, including:
- Free: This is the default plan and includes motion-activated notifications, real-time video, theft protection, and two-way talk. It also comes with real-time alerts when an individual triggers a sensor or rings the doorbell.
- Basic: This plan works with a camera or doorbell and can record any activity for up to 180 days. It also provides snapshot capture, regular notifications, and the ability to download videos. It costs $3.99 per month or $39.99 per year.
- More: With this plan, you get video recording for all paired Ring devices. It also comes with an extended warranty for these devices. It costs $10 per month or $100 per year.
- Pro: This plan includes everything from the Plus plan, but it also includes professional 24/7 monitoring, Alexa Guard Plus, digital security and more. It costs $20 per month or $200 per year.
A standard Ring configuration costs between $199 and $299.
Advantages of the ring
- Offerings include cameras, such as floodlights or doorbell cameras, smart keypads, panic buttons, motion detectors, environmental sensors and smart lights
- Ability to pair third-party security devices to the larger system
- No contract required
- Easy to install devices
- Convenient app lets you adjust settings as needed
- Very flexible home security system
- Devices sometimes have connection issues due to spotty internet connections
- Does not include some sensors, such as glass break sensors
- Limited warranty vs. SimpliSafe
- Potential privacy issue where Ring may allow police to access your recordings
Best Ring Devices
Ring Alarm Eight-Piece Kit (Second Generation)
This eight-piece alarm kit is ideal for homes with one or two bedrooms. It comes with a base station, a keypad, four contact sensors and a motion detector. There’s also the option to add either an Echo Dot, indoor camera or video doorbell.
Sold by Amazon
Ring Indoor Cam Compact HD Plug-in Security Camera
These three indoor cameras are compact and easy to add to an existing Ring security system. They plug into any standard outlet and can connect to the Ring app or pair with Alexa. They are also compact, so they fit almost anywhere.
Sold by Amazon
Ring 3 Video Doorbell
This video doorbell comes with a 1080p HD video camera and has motion detection. When you connect it to a smart device, such as a phone or computer, you can communicate with anyone at the front door from anywhere. The device also sends you notifications whenever someone presses the doorbell. If you want, you can add an Echo Show 5 or a Ring Chime for extra security.
Sold by Amazon
Should you get a SimpliSafe security system or a Ring security system?
Both Ring and SimpliSafe are reliable home security systems that are easy to set up and customize as needed. They each offer a free monitoring service and several optional plans to improve your home security.
However, if you want an option that is more economical, flexible, and allows you to pair your security devices with third-party devices, Ring is the better option. But if you’re looking for extra protection, like glass break sensors, and are interested in a longer warranty, SimpliSafe has the edge.
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out the daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Angela Watson written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.